Forest in development doesn't have updated schema rails

Expected behavior

When I enter ForestAdmin in the development environment I would see all the same tables and same fields I currently have in my Rails app.

Actual behavior

Since I’ve changed several fields (added and removed fields) inside the rails schema I’m now getting the following error:

Within the terminal I get this failure:

npm start

> ibiza-garden-houses@0.0.1 start
> node ./server.js

Your application is listening on port 3310.
Your admin panel is available here: https://app.forestadmin.com/projects
OPTIONS /forest/sessions 204 0 - 1.601 ms
POST /forest/sessions 200 303 - 2371.543 ms
OPTIONS /forest/houses?fields%5Bcategory%5D=id&fields%5Bhouses%5D=category%2CcreatedAt%2Cid%2Clength%2Cname%2CoriginalPriceCents%2Cpictures%2CpriceCents%2Csku%2Cslug%2CupdatedAt%2Cuser%2Cwidth&fields%5Buser%5D=id&page%5Bnumber%5D=1&page%5Bsize%5D=15&searchExtended=0&sort=-id&timezone=Europe%2FMadrid 204 0 - 0.188 ms
OPTIONS /forest/houses/count?fields%5Bhouses%5D=category%2CcreatedAt%2Cid%2Clength%2Cname%2CoriginalPriceCents%2Cpictures%2CpriceCents%2Csku%2Cslug%2CupdatedAt%2Cuser%2Cwidth&fields%5Bcategory%5D=id&fields%5Buser%5D=id&searchExtended=0&timezone=Europe%2FMadrid 204 0 - 0.199 ms
[forest] 🌳🌳🌳  Unexpected error: column houses.price_cents does not exist
SequelizeDatabaseError: column houses.price_cents does not exist
    at Query.formatError (/Users/owenmoss/code/OKMantis/ibz_garden_houses/Ibiza Garden Houses/node_modules/sequelize/lib/dialects/postgres/query.js:354:16)
    at /Users/owenmoss/code/OKMantis/ibz_garden_houses/Ibiza Garden Houses/node_modules/sequelize/lib/dialects/postgres/query.js:71:18
    at tryCatcher (/Users/owenmoss/code/OKMantis/ibz_garden_houses/Ibiza Garden Houses/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/util.js:16:23)
    at Promise._settlePromiseFromHandler (/Users/owenmoss/code/OKMantis/ibz_garden_houses/Ibiza Garden Houses/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/promise.js:547:31)
    at Promise._settlePromise (/Users/owenmoss/code/OKMantis/ibz_garden_houses/Ibiza Garden Houses/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/promise.js:604:18)
    at Promise._settlePromise0 (/Users/owenmoss/code/OKMantis/ibz_garden_houses/Ibiza Garden Houses/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/promise.js:649:10)
    at Promise._settlePromises (/Users/owenmoss/code/OKMantis/ibz_garden_houses/Ibiza Garden Houses/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/promise.js:725:18)
    at _drainQueueStep (/Users/owenmoss/code/OKMantis/ibz_garden_houses/Ibiza Garden Houses/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/async.js:93:12)
    at _drainQueue (/Users/owenmoss/code/OKMantis/ibz_garden_houses/Ibiza Garden Houses/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/async.js:86:9)
    at Async._drainQueues (/Users/owenmoss/code/OKMantis/ibz_garden_houses/Ibiza Garden Houses/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/async.js:102:5)
    at Immediate.Async.drainQueues [as _onImmediate] (/Users/owenmoss/code/OKMantis/ibz_garden_houses/Ibiza Garden Houses/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/async.js:15:14)
    at processImmediate (node:internal/timers:463:21)

The staging and production environment in ForestAdmin work normally, because their schema from ForestAdmin is the same as in the rails app.

Context

Hi @OKMantis,

Sorry for the first silly questions to have more context.

Did you restart your Rails development server, once the fields added/removed?
Do you observe that your .forestadmin-schema.json has been updated according to the field you added/removed?
Did you deactivated the .forestadmin-schema.json automatic synchronisation on server start with the FOREST_DISABLE_AUTO_SCHEMA_APPLY environment variable? (more info here)

Thanks for your answers.

Sorry, I’ve since installed forestadmin for Ruby on Rails and now I don’t have this problem anymore. Thanks anyway for your help.

3 Likes