"Not a valid UUID" except it is

Expected behavior

Lookup by UUID should work even if the UUID does not match the official RFC format.

Actual behavior

The front-end refuses the UUID we indeed use in our database, insisting it is “Not a valid UUID”.

Failure Logs

Here is an UUID that works:
123E4567-E89B-12D3-A456-426614174000
And one that doesn’t:
123E4567-E89B-62D3-A456-426614174000

According to the one and only source of knowledge on this planet this is due to the first digit of the third group not being a proper UUID version (6), due to there being only 5 UUID versions.

Context

Please provide any relevant information about your setup.

• Package Version: ^8.3.3
  • Express Version: 4.17.1
  • Sequelize Version: 6.6.2
  • Database Dialect: MSSQL
1 Like

Hi @kll :wave: to understand where does the problem come from, can you provide me more context please?
Where do you see this error? Come from your backend or directly in the frontend?
Thanks.

Plop @Arnaud_Moncel, it comes from the FA front-end when filtering on an UUID field using the is operator. Here’s a screenshot for context:

Oh right I see, unfortunately we try to support only “standard” things.
I send your request anyway on our product board.
I can suggest you to try to change on your model definition uuid by string.
Let me know.

1 Like

Hello, I reported this in Github: UUID handling is broken with Postgres `uuid` column · Issue #657 · ForestAdmin/agent-nodejs · GitHub

This is a huge issue since your UUID field is not accepting valid values that PostgreSQL is happy to store.

This means Forest will break with PostgreSQL tables using the uuid type.

Hello @el3ng :wave:,

Thanks for your report on github :pray:, we will look into it internally.

Kind regards,

Florian

We have added this bug on our board, it will be fixed soon, thanks again :pray:

Hello,

We took the time to analyze the issue and have determined that currently, ForestAdmin only supports the RFC4122 format for UUIDs. This means that we support versions 1, 3, 4, and 5 of the format. Postgres support RFC4122 and others alternative.

Unfortunately, we have not found a simple solution without introducing bugs to the application. Therefore, we will treat your request as a feature request rather than a bug report.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.