Attaching Existing Records - Customize Typeahead

Hey Forest,

When creating a connection between two existing records, most of the time the typeahead is not helpful at all. I think for the most part having only one field(whether it be id, name) usually just is not enough since an id isn’t descriptive at all and not all tables have non-id unique fields. This leads to us having to go to the table, look up the id of the record we want and circle back which consumes a considerable amount of time. Is there a way to alter this typeahead? If not please consider this my feature request :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hello @Arda_Yurdakul,

Thanks for reaching out :raised_hands:

I understand your case, and unfortunately I don’t see how we could alter it as of now.
So as you said, I am pushing a feature request so that it could be possible in the future!

Thanks again.

@Arda_Yurdakul,

Thanks to @morganperre, I just realise that there is solution for your case.

You could create a smart field that is just the concatenation of the fields that would make a record unique and easily identifiable.
Then, you can choose this smart field as the reference field of your collection.

Let me know if that would work for you!
Thanks.

2 Likes

Hey @anon34731316, that’s awesome, I didn’t even realize we could use smart fields for typeaheads, thank you!

2 Likes