Cannot edit empty or linked values inline

See this: https://www.loom.com/share/1577bfddebf0463983002557bc440cdb

Expected behavior

1. I should be able to inline edit empty fields
  2. I should be able to inline edit relationship fields
  3. I should be able to inline edit fields using a single click just like Airtable. You can still keep double click UI if you want to.

Actual behavior

1. I can’t inline edit empty fields
  2. I can’t inline edit relationship fields
  3. I can’t inline edit fields using a single click just like Airtable. You can still keep double click UI if you want to.
1 Like

Hello @BK42 :wave:

Actually, you are not supposed to be able to edit a relationshipField, this is not supported by the feature. The empty fields you tried to edit are relationshipField and that’s why you could not edit it. I can confirm that empty String, Number, and Date fields are editable.

I’m not sure this is something we want to do actually. Double left click are not that usual on the web.

Anyway let me push your remarks in our product board, we might want to support relationShip fields in the future, so your feedback is really appreciated.

Steve.

1. I know it might be complex to support editing relationshipField's, but I am sure it won’t be impossible given editing the record lets you change that field anyways.

2. I am saying single left click, not double left click. If you have used airtable / notion / mac osx then you can relate how intuitive it is to edit something by clicking on it.

Overall, I shouldn’t have to open up another page to edit anything about a record. Take inspiration from Airtable on these nitty-gritty’s they do it really well.

1 Like

Hi @BK42

Let me push this to our Productboard, I’ll let you know of any updates :slight_smile:
We also have similar requests to use boolean (checkbox) or dropdowns in inline editing, if you have other widgets in mind, don’t hesitate.

Airtable and Notion are an inspiration, no doubt. I’m just curious to know how you would like to access the details view of a record if the single left click is reserved for inline editing.

One shouldn’t have to open detail view too often if editing/adding new entries was inline as in Airtable. With that said, folks who do want to open details view can do so by clicking separate button/menu at the end of the row.