Questions with New development workflow

One thing that is still not clear for me, is the impact on the layout when choosing the origin .
What I need to be sure of is to take the production layout as a reference to work on when creating the branch.

To explain this, I’ll take the following example

Origin of Staging 1 = Production
Origin of remove-chart = Staging 1

The branch remove-chart is created to remove a chart.
After remove-chart branch is pushed on Staging 1, on the update-chart-title:

• forest set-origin "Staging 1" → The chart will no longer be displayed (As “Staging 1” is now the origin and the remove-chart branch was already pushed to this environment)
  • forest set-origin "Production" → The chart is still displayed, as Staging1 isn’t deployed yet.

And, following this idea, why should I switch the origin to Staging, before pushing my new layout changes.

The overall objective of branch origin is to allow you to see exactly on screen what you are about to push or deploy, so you only need to set-origin to Staging if you want to push to it.

But if I need to have the production layout as a base to work on it, I should still take “Production as origin ” when creating the branch

Exactly, but you’ll not be able to push your changes on Staging then.

Even if we don’t really like the analogy (Because the behavior not exactly the same), you can see branch origin just like git branches, and set-origin as a kind of simple “rebase”.

I hope this is clearer with this explanation, otherwise, please let me know :pray:

4 Likes