Dev env missing collection permissions

We’re trying to setup a production environment on localhost development environment but am encountering errors due to table permissions. When comparing dev to prod we can see that dev has most of the table permissions missing, even though it’s the same user and database.

For most tables on dev, these permissions are totally missing, sometimes only one option shows but is disabled, and for some they are all there as expected. On prod they are all visible and enabled.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Expected behavior

We are expecting to be able to access all the same collection permissions as in production.

Actual behavior

The collection permissions are missing from tables.

Failure Logs

Here’s the corresponding log error:

Context

• Express Version: 4.16.4
  • Sequelize Version: 4.8.0
  • Database Dialect: PostgreSQL
  • Database Version: 9.6

Hi and welcome in our community :champagne: !

Could you please share the name of your project ?

You are experiencing this issue on the same project right ? Because your production is clearly using our old permissions system while your development seems to be using our new permissions system “Roles”. Which means that the permissions are moved into your project settings under the tab roles instead of inside the collection settings.

1 Like

Hi Vince, thanks very much for your assistence.

I’m unable to disclose the project name, though yes, we are experiencing this on the same project.

When viewing the Settings > Role > we are unable to see any options, says it needs to be deployed to production first which wouldn’t be practical. We need to be able to work on dev first before deploy.

Shouldn’t all collections have permissions available by default? Even on dev.

We are unable to test some smart actions which require full colllection permissions access.

Please help.

Thanks.

Hey @username1 you can of course send it in private message :wink:

Is it really the same project cause it seems you have no remote at all :thinking: ?

It would really help me if you could send me your project name in private :pray:

Ah sorry, it’s not the same Forest Admin project, we are needing to replicate that setup on a new project from scratch. What I meant by same project is the codebase and DB are exactly the same.

We just need to be able to get this working on our local dev env first. It’s not practical to have to deploy to remote staging env to be able to see the collections permissions options. We need these working on local machines so we can develop locally. Not to mention avoid unecessary costs in remote hosting while developing.

Is there any way we can have all collections permissions enabled by default on dev?

What benefit is there to only allowing these permissions on remote and not local dev?

Thanks.

What I meant everything should be allowed on your new project on development environment. That’s why I was asking for your project name so I can find out what is going wrong.

Which version of forest-express-sequelize are you on ?

Thanks Vince, sequelize version is 4.8.0

Context

• Express Version: 4.16.4
  • Sequelize Version: 4.8.0
  • Database Dialect: PostgreSQL
  • Database Version: 9.6

I mean your forest-express-sequelize version not Sequelize :wink:

Sorry, forest-express-sequelize is v3.1.1

No worries. This is a really old version, could you try to upgrade to the latest version by following our upgrade guides ? This should fix your issue :wink:

Thanks, though this wouldn’t be possible without a ton of work. Is there anyway to resolve this on v3?

How is it possible that the exact same DB and codebase using v3 are still working fine in production (ever since deployment 2 years ago) but now the same doesn’t work when redeployed on a new Forest project?

Wouldn’t our production also experience this same issue?

Any additional info would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

Because we refuse old versions when creating new projects basically. That’s why you have this issue. If you stay on your project and create new environments everything will work fine. But new projects have to be up to date