Error message when trying to deploy changes to production

Hi team,

It seems that we have an issue with the development workflow.
We have made some changes in Development, then pushed them in Staging,
and it’s running fine in both environments.

Now, we are trying to deploy these changes in Production but we get this error:

Environment source current branch Staging_default (id: 23494) has no target origin

Could you please help us to solve this issue?

• Project name: .MyPocket
  • Team name: Compliance
  • Environment name: Development then Staging then Production

My Setup:

"meta": {
    "liana": "forest-express-sequelize",
    "liana_version": "8.5.14",
    "stack": {
      "database_type": "multiple",
      "engine": "nodejs",
      "engine_version": "19.4.0",
      "orm_version": "5.22.5"
    }

Hey @Louis-Marie :wave:

Looking at your project configuration, it appear that Staging is currently set as your reference environment (The highest one in your environment hierarchy).
As it is your reference environment, there is no target to push the changes onto.

I’m guessing that in your setup, the reference environment should be your production agent. You should be able to set this up in your admin panel using the environment tabs of your project settings.

Setting the origin of Staging to your production should do the trick, and should also allow you to forest deploy the changes to your production.

Let me know if that helps.

I have to admit that I don’t really understand.

Here is my current Production settings:

and my current Staging settings:

Could you please let me know what I should do exactly?

Thanks again.
Louis-Marie

Ok, my bad. The setup you are in currently shouldn’t be possible, so this indicate that we have an issue on our end.

I’ll investigate the issue manually on my end, and I’ll get back to you asap.

Hey :wave:

Quick update here:

On our end, your Staging environment is marked as your reference one. This case shouldn’t be possible on our end (Once you setup a production environment, it should always be your reference environment).

After a first investigation, it seems like this issue is supposedly related to the incident encountered last week (See https://status.forestadmin.com/). We are still trying to replicate this issue on our end.

If possible, could you confirm that your production is currently working as expected, and that the layout changes introduced on staging aren’t applied on production directly?

As we are currently unable to reproduce the behavior you are in, this would really help locate & fix this issue.

Thanks in advance :pray:

Well, well…

If possible, could you confirm that your production is currently working as expected, and that the layout changes introduced on staging aren’t applied on production directly?

The production is currently working, but the layout changes were minor ones.
And, after verification… it seems that these changes were applied in Production indeed.

It’s a surprise for me.

In details, I can see a new summary view (collection main_account, Team Compliance) which was not existing before.

For added information, here are the logs when the production server was started the last time:

2023-05-31T13:20:46.253339713Z Starting Forest Admin...
2023-05-31T13:20:46.768355973Z [forest] 🌳🌳🌳  Checking need for apimap update...
2023-05-31T13:20:46.867595746Z [forest] 🌳🌳🌳  Sending schema file to Forest...
2023-05-31T13:20:47.912076175Z [forest] 🌳🌳🌳  Schema file sent.

I hope this will help.

Thanks.

Hi @jeffladiray

Could you please let me know if we can work on our production server?
Or is there any doubt that it could be overridden by a new deployment from our Staging environment?

Thanks
Louis-Marie

Indeed, you can still work on your production environment and edit your layout on your Production environment.

The bug has been located and our team is still working on the topic, to figure out how to re-set your project in the correct state. For now, the only feature that should be affected are:

• The fact that your production layout is based on your staging one, so any change on staging will impact your production.
  • The fact that you are not able to deploy from Staging to Production anymore.
  • The fact that you can use Set as production to restore the state you were in previously.

Really sorry for the inconvenience, but be sure that our team is focus on this issue.

Hi @Louis-Marie,

Hopefully, everything should be fixed on your end.
he misconfiguration was manually fixed by our team, and you should now be able to deploy your staging changes in the case they weren’t already applied, as well as to use the feature that were previously mentionned.

Let me now if you still having any issue, and again, sorry for the inconvenience :pray:

Hi @jeffladiray,

Thank you for this updates and for the fix.

Have a nice day.
Louis-Marie

1 Like