Multiple summary views

Plop,

Not sure if it’s a feature suggestion or if it already exists and we just passed right by it!
Criticisms welcome both on the premises and the question.

Context

Some of our database entities have a life-cycle and/or status attached to them.
Think a Book starting out as a draft, then getting reviewed, then scheduled for publication, then published, then revised, etc…

As such, viewing a book’s Summary when it’s a draft or when it’s published has very different concerns:

1. As a draft we might want to see the progression, comments…
  2. When published we might actually want sales figures or publisher data…

This could also apply to Users: in a B2B2C fashion, some Users are our clients and others are our clients’ clients.

We know that we can have Independent column configuration for Segments. Does it also work for Summary views? Or can we add more Summary views using the drag-and-drop builder?

If not, should we achieve this in a different way, possibly adding a collection and routes to our BO code pointing to the same model?

We would prefer not to code smart views.

(Forest V8)

Hi @kll

if it already exists and we just passed right by it!

You didn’t miss anything :), this is currently not supported.
The best workaround, as you already mentionned, would be using smart views.

Let me push this as a feature suggestion to our product board!

1 Like

Hi again @jeffladiray,

Dang, this would be so useful for us. Thanks for putting it on the board.
As an aside, do you think our situation is a fairly isolated one – in which case I’d be pessimistic about this FR – or is it common?

I’ve seen a lot of talk on Forest lately about validation views for example, this could be achieved fairly easily via segment-scoped Summary views and smart actions. All in drag & drop!

As an aside, do you think our situation is a fairly isolated one – in which case I’d be pessimistic about this FR – or is it common?

To be honest, it was already in our product board, so your situation is not isolated.

However, I cannot give any ETA for feature requests pushed in our board, but be sure we’ll reach you out whenever we have something to share!

2 Likes

Thanks! Is it on the public board? I couldn’t find it.

Hi @jeffladiray and @kll, what about simply duplicating the model to have a specific summary view?

Sequelize allows to you “duplicate” a model pointing to the same table.

As a workaround, you can:

• Create a duplicate model in your models file pointing to the same table

• As a result Forest Admin will detect it as a new model and you can add a scope/filters to it and configure your own summary view

1 Like

This feels very hacky, I love it. We’re going to try it soon =D